Wednesday, February 19, 2014

How do I get out of this slump?

I think I'm in a slump because I have no real big goals. I had finished training for my full marathon and I think it took every thing out of me, literally. I have only ran 6 times since January 19th. I love running but even the short runs I  have been going on, I just feel heavy and slow. I'm not sure how to get out of it. I have a half marathon THIS weekend. HOLY COW. I've ran halves before without training so I know I can do it, but I would rather do it with ease than with struggle.

I completed my first VIRTUAL race on February 9th for Relentless for Reagan. Reagan is a little girl fighting for her life with lymphoma. R4R Virtual Race posted on Facebook and I signed up. You can choose which distance you want to run, so I chose to run a 10k. (Race medal will be mailed to me)


Then Dani Holmes-Kirk from Weight Off My Shoulders posted another virtual race (apparently these are the things to do now). She is running the Boston Marathon and has to raise money for Teddy's Team which raises money for stroke victims. Her race was called the Stop Stroke Shuffle and again you could pick your distance. I chose to run a 5K since it was in line with my training (using that word loosely) . (Race medal will be mailed to me)

     
                                                         

I really want to get back into the groove of things. It's not like the weather is bad. This has been the best winter EVER. Sunny, clear skies and in the 70-80s, just amazing. I should be out running every day.

The girls at my gym are running a 5k called the MartiGras 5K in Santa Clarita on Saturday so I signed up for that. I figured a 5K the day before my half marathon won't hurt and maybe it's just what I need to kick start this slump.

I also found out through Facebook that there is a run called Run One for Boston and it is a relay run from Santa Monica all the way to Boston. All the money raised will go towards victims and their families that survived the Boston Marathon bombing. I set a goal to raise $250 and so far I am $30 away from my goal. I signed up to run Stage 5 with another female runner named, Lauren Anderson. I have no idea who she is but there are 30 stages listed for California and I didn't want to potentially be the only one running a stage so I was able to sign up with any stage I wanted. I would have loved to do the kick off run in Santa Monica but it's at  1pm on March 16th and will be in San Diego that morning doing the Puppy Love 5K with Kevin and Gwen and wouldn't be able to make a 1pm start time. So a later stage worked best for me. Our stage is 8 miles from El Monte to Covina Park and then we hand the baton off to a guy named Dominick Santos. Not that many people read this but I am posting the link to my sponsor page. My run is March 16th at 10:10pm.

http://www.onerunforboston.org/u/ordinaryrunner/

My schedule for February and March:

February 22: Marti Gras Madness 5K, Santa Clarita
February 23: Seaside Half Marathon, Ventura
March 16: Puppy Love 5K (walk with the pigs)
March 16: Run One for Boston (8 miles)
March 23: Rock N' Roll Half Marathon, Dallas

Stay tuned.....this girl has got to get her butt in gear.



No comments:

Post a Comment