Monday, January 20, 2014

Tri-City Mecial Center Carlsbad Marathon

Tri-City Medical Center Carlsbad Marathon…..26.2: Check.

Saturday, January 18, 2014 (Pre-race day)

Drove down to Carlsbad with my friend Trina who was doing the half marathon while I was going to be running the full marathon. We stopped at the race expo first. Race expos are one of my favorite things about signing up for a race. I wasn't that thrilled with the vendors this year. There seems to be a trend of an increasing number of recovery drinks or energy bars that seem to fill the expo tent. I miss the race gear. The skirts, the shorts the cute socks. WHERE DID YOU GO??? I race with a belt on to hold my phone. I wanted just a fuel belt with no pockets for the phone. I circled the place three times, maybe four. I found one person who had one on display but it looked used. Then I settled on one with a pocket for $20. Oh well…I bought it. Then on our way out, I spotted a table that had 2 fuel belts and they were only $11. AHHHHHH!!!  I just stuck with the one I bought. At least it will get used.

We checked into our hotel and my sister met us there and surprised us with hanging pictures all over our room with pictures of Ryan Goseling with "HEY GIRL" sayings. They were so funny.

Hey Girl, Let's spread out all your running magazines and catalogs on the bed and spend the whole night circling everything you want.

Hey Girl, c'mere. I'll ice your knee.

Hey Girl, that fuel belt makes your butt look fantastic.

Hey Girl, you make compression gear look like a little black dress.

Hey Girl, let me massage your feet while I listen you your mile splits.

Hey Girl, I love the way the musty smell of your wet off road shoes greets me on the porch. It lets me know you got home from your run safely.

Hey Girl, who said eleven minute miles isn't running?

Hey Girl, Sorry I'm tired. I was up late writing love notes on the back of your bib.

Dinner…OLIVE GARDEN, of course. 5 cheese ziti alforno and all you can eat salad and bread sticks. Heck yeah, count me in.

I usually have rituals that I do the night before. I take a bath. I scrub my face. I paint my fingers and toe nails. I drink tea and I just relax. Well, I pretty much only got my fingers painted because I was going over race stuff with my sister and friend. I felt rushed and it was getting late….too late. I ended up drinking my tea right before bed. I just hope this doesn't mess with my mojo.

Sunday, January 19, 2014 (Race day)

I don't sleep well away from home….especially the night before a race. I had to be up by 4:30 to catch the 5am shuttle to the start line. My race started at 6:15. I woke up every hour and at 3:30 and 4 the baby next door was crying. SO I decided just to get up at 4. I had two friends in the room that didn't have to leave when I left so I got all my stuff and hung out in the bathroom. At least it was a big bathroom. I have been so excited about doing this race. When I woke up, I was a little panicked. Can I do this? Can I run 26.2 miles? Fear set in. Once I started getting ready though, that feeling went away and excitement returned. I have my sister and my friend meeting me at different mile markers along the way to cheer me on. I will be fine.

I took the shuttle over and ended up talking to another female runner until the race started. That was nice because usually I'm alone and keep to myself. It made the hour go by fast.

I realized that I forgot my chap stick. CRAP. I need that. Oh wait. I did put a little thing of vasoline in my fuel belt just in case I had chaffing. Thank goodness or I would be screwed! I also forgot my pre race gel cubes that I ALWAYS eat right before a race. This isn't going the way I planned. I will make due though. I'll just eat a GU earlier than planned.

Race started and I'm off. My two goals: Do not stop to walk and I wanted to come in under 4:30. I thought if I kept a 9:45 pace, then I would be alright and could possibly come in at 4:15. I started out at a 9:05 pace and kept a 9:07 pace for about 13 miles. Seeing my sister standing at random mile markers brought a smile to my face. It made me so happy. She had made different signs for each mile she was meeting me at. I saw my friend at 3 of the miles and I just love seeing her there also to support me. At mile marker 12 my sister and my friend were there together and threw a short lived dance party to "Timber" by Pit Bull and Ke$ha. I grabbed some energy bar, danced a few steps and off I went. I felt REALLY good. In fact I felt more like I was jogging and could run faster but I didn't want to potentially have a set back like my first marathon.

There were a lot of hills. WAY more than I expected. I hate hills. You don't understand. I really really hate hills. But as I ran up each one, I thought to myself, I hate hills. I hate them so much but I really kill them. I hall ass up them. I pass almost everyone going up the hill. I"m pretty good at hills. BUT man do I hate hills.  
Miles 13-17 I flew. I kept my pace. I saw my sister and my friend a few more times. More hills. At this point I even say out loud, "Great, another hill." No one finds it funny. Runners seem to lack personality during a race. I like to make light of the horrible things during a race. No one listens or they glare at me. At least I think I'm funny.

I wanted to get passed mile 18 because it was a horrible training run. 18 went great. My next goal, mile 20…my longest training run. Passed 20 with flying colors. Next goal 22….the mile that took me out in my first marathon. I WILL NOT WALK. I WILL NOT HAVE PAIN. 21 came with a vengeance and sucked the life out of my body. It was hard. It was painful. My shins hurt. My feet hurt. My thighs hurt. My shoulder hurt. My knees felt great though! Keep running. Keep running. I made it to 22..the demon mile. It was hard, more hills but I pushed through. I came up to 23, just 3 more miles. This should be easy. It's hard to get that negative voice out of your head. SHUT UP LEGS. SHUT UP HEAD. I can do this. I was in front of the 4:09 pacer. I could slow down and still make my goal. My head said no. If I slow down I'll just be on the course longer. I saw my sister at 23 or 24, I can't remember. I told her it was hard. I'm struggling. She said I'm doing great as she ran along side of me. You have no idea how much that meant to me. It's a little added energy. It's encouragement. It's just what you need when you just think it's TOO hard. Thank you TRACY!

Are you kidding me? MORE hills with 2 miles left. I shout out loud "Great. Just what I wanted another hill." No one laughed. I think every one was in agony. I'm sure they were cussing me out in their head. I kept passing people though. I would pass half marathoners and I want to say….why are you running so slow? I've already ran 21 miles, you have only ran 9. But I know how they feel. 

I get choked up at mile 25. I'm almost done. I have accomplished so much. I choke up at 26…..   .2 miles to go. I usually sprint down the road when I see the finish line. This time I just kept my pace. I couldn't go any further. I got my finish line pose ready to go and the camera man was looking down at his camera. What a disappointment. He couldn't even capture my accomplishment at the finish line. I thought I would cry from emotions welling up inside of me. From accomplishment to being so dang proud of myself. I didn't cry. No one tear. 

This was amazing. What a great experience and great run. I came in at 4:07:23. I accomplished both goals. Despite the miserable last 5 miles, I still want to take on the Walt Disney Dopey Challenge. I think I'm a little crazy. I am so proud of myself. Such a different feeling from my first marathon. I feel so accomplished. So important. I have bragging rights…right? Man this was a great day.

Thank you to my sister, Tracy for pushing me and cheering me on. You mean the world to me and that meant everything to me. Thank you Carlee for being there voluntarily. That just meant so much to me to have my friend WANT to come cheer me on without having to ask for your support. I love both of you.

My awesome sister.
 
Oh yeah, I did it!
Carlee
Trina (completed half marathon with a PR)

Time to recover. Take the week off of running and just focus on my fitness classes. Next week I'll start running again. My next half marathon is on the 23rd. I'll be ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment